While the summertime is the perfect season to jump in the car and head out on an adventure, the warm temperatures can definitely take a toll on your vehicle. With the increase in driving and the hotter weather, it is important to remember not to neglect your vehicle and to stay on top of your car's summer maintenance needs over the next couple of months.
Most car owners don't realize how much the heat can actually affect their vehicles. Realizing what you can do to help your vehicle through the heat can allow you to avoid costly breakdowns and repairs that can put a wrench (no pun intended) in your summer plans.
Here are some of our top summer tips to help your vehicle survive the heat:
- Have your battery tested and cleaned. Battery juice tends to evaporate quickly during the warmer days, and a battery that is already nearing the end of its life may die completely unexpectedly. A quick battery test can tell you if your battery is in good condition and cleaning will prevent corrosion around the terminals.
- Make sure that you pay attention to your engine's temperature gauge on the dashboard and have your vehicle's cooling system inspected before hitting the road for a long journey. The cooling system needs to be working at its best to prevent engine overheating. If you suspect an engine temperature issue, get your vehicle into the professionals here at Small World Auto Center at your earliest convenience.
- Ensure that your vehicle's tires are properly inflated and are in good condition. Low tire pressure can put you at risk for tire blowouts on the road and can wear out your tires significantly.
- Inspect all vehicle fluids to make sure that they are filled properly and that chambers are clean.
- Test your vehicle's air conditioning system and have it serviced if it isn't working properly.
- Be prepared for any situation by having an emergency kit in your vehicle including items needed to replace a tire.
- It's always a good idea to have your vehicle inspected here at Small World Auto Center before any extensive driving so we can double-check that your vehicle's systems are in proper working order!
These tips will help you keep cool and safe during the summer, and will ensure that your vehicle runs at its best. If you need any service or repair, we invite you to Small World Auto Center today!